Tuesday, March 19, 2013

It's Decided. I Am A Giant

Hola todos,

Today, I had class, and that was good. I am beginning to understand the professor better. My next class the "Dicursos Artisticos y Formas Politicas" of course was cancelled. So instead, I went to the park with a friend in the class who is from Finland and we chatted. Fun fact: Did you know that there is no future tense in the Finnish language? After she left, I hung around for a little bit and people watched. Then I decided to go for a walk down the main drag. As I walked, there were plenty of little stands selling clothing, rings etc. As I passed one place, a pair of shoes caught my eye so I asked to try them on. She asked what size I was. Now, in the United States, I am a size 8 and in Europe etc. I am a size 38. So when she asked I said, 38. Well, that was no 38. So I tried on a 39, then a 40, then a 41. And finally the 41 fit. That was the biggest size they had. A 41 is equivalent to an 11 in the U.S! Now I know my feet didn't suddenly get bigger, so I thought to myself, Wow, I am actually a giant here! I had hoped before coming here that I would fit in enough to not scream foreigner, but I thought wrong.
I ended up buying 2 pairs of shoes, which in total was $10, how could I not buy them? And I went on my merry way. While I continued walking, I saw another shoe place that had a discount sign on the window, so of course I had to go in. Well, I swear, there was not a single size 41 in the entire store. So I tried in a pair of heels that were a size 39 just for the fun of it, and people actually looked at me like, why in the world is she so tall?? So, I decided that I would not need heels here. I mean, I am 5'8" and I guarantee, I don't need a doctor to tell me this, I am in the 100 percentile of height here. Maybe 101.
I gave up on finding any shoes, and continued to walk.
As I was passing people who were walking in front of me due to me being twice the size of them, I figured, well, thank goodness I bought shoes before I got here.

4 comments:

  1. You think you're tall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I believe you are 5'7 1/2"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. That is true, and I believe the doctor said, last time I was there, that I am 5' 7 9/10" I may have a grown a 10th though in the past few years.

      Delete
  3. It's a good height no matter where you are! (I am 5'8" too) AH

    ReplyDelete