Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Second Day of Classes

Hola todos,

Today was my second day of school. My first class is called "Espacio Social y Tiempo: Imaginarios y representacion en la geografia social y historica." (I'm not entirely sure what the English name would be, but I'm assuming something along the lines of " Social Space and Time: Imaginary and Representation in Social and Historical Geography" maybe?) I honestly can say that I don't even know what that means. But, eitherway I figured, eh, why not? So this class is in the same building and same time as my class on Monday's and Wednesday's, so the day started off similar to yesterday.
I arrived at the room early just in case I got lost, and it was strange because I got there, and even 5 minutes before class, no one was there. I was standing outside because I didn't want to look like a weirdo sitting all by myself in the big class room, so when it was 11:55 I began to question if I was at the right room. Finally, a man walks towards the door so I say hi, (I wasn't completely sure he was the professor) and he is the professor for the class. I go into the class and a few minutes later one girl shows up, then a boy shows up, then... no one else! So, here I am being in a class with 2 other people, one of whom is Chilean and the other who is from Barcelona. They of course speak fluent Spanish. Since the professor and I talked for a few minutes prior to "everyone" (I use this term very loosely) coming in, he knew that I was from the U.S. Still, his Spanish was quite quick and I had and still have no idea what the class is about. I suppose that's not such a good sign. I figure however, that within a week or 2, my Spanish will be picking up enough so I will be able to understand. This must happen because it is inevitable I will talk, or will have to talk more than once in each class.
After that nail biting event, I had 3 and a half hours hours to get to a different campus where I have a class called "Discursos Artisticos y Formas Politicas en Latinoamerica" ("Artistic Discourses and Political Forms in Latin America"). I got there quite easily via one bus and had plenty of time to spare. I got a water and sat in  park nearby. At 4:00, I went to the building to get to class at 4:15. When I got there I wasn't sure where the class was because the University Catalog didn't say so (yet again, only in South America), so I asked a man at the from desk. A girl also asked him and it turns out she had the same class. Even though I am not a Chilean, I am still capable of telling if someone's Spanish is Chilean or not, and hers was not. I asked her where she is from and sure enough, she's from Austin, Texas. We then walked to class where she knew another Gringa (foreigner) and then that Gringa knew another Gringa, so it was 5 Gringas (including me) in the class, and then 3 Chileans. Apparently this is an attractive course from internationals.
That class was... not bad. I was tired by that point of the day, so I wasn't doing too well at concentrating, but his Spanish was slower so that helped a lot. We already have a homework assignment! We have to go to a museum and find a piece of artwork and write a page about it. Not the end of the world and in fact I would like to go to the museum, but it's the shear fact that we were assigned homework the first class.
After class, I talked to the internationals more, and we all exchanged numbers. So, I now have 4 more friends! I have decided that I will dedicate next week to making Chilean friends because right now, a friend is better than no friend!
After we parted ways, I walked to the Plaza de Armas (a main attraction with beautiful buildings etc, and passed through a street called Nueva York Calle because apparently, the street looks like New York City. Well, it doesn't really, but I won't burst the person's bubble who named it. The Plaza de Armas is beautiful so I sat myself down on a bench, took out my notebook and started writing my "diary entries" that are mandatory for the program. It was a nice evening. I then walked back to the subway drinking a jugo (juice) and returned back to my house.
All in all, a good second day. No horrible issues or urge to cry. The classes were good and I am happy with them thus far. Tomorrow I have the same class I had on Monday plus a class called "Teatro Latinoamericano" ("Latin American Theater"). That should be fun!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! New York City streets look a bit different!

    ReplyDelete