Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Anna Is A Dog's Best Friend

Hola todos,

After classes, a nap, and dinner, I decided to go for a walk to the nearby store about 15 minutes away. I was craving something sweet. As I was walking, a dog and I crossed paths, and he decided, well heck, why not go with her? So me and my companion (a little black male dog with a white chest) started our walk to the store. He hesitated a few times really wondering if I was worth his time, but he was lucky he decided to stay by my side. We continued walking and we took turns leading. If I was too slow for him, he would wait patiently for me to catch up and we'd continue. All the while, I'm thinking of what my companion's name should be. I was playing with Patas (Paws) because I think that's adorable, but I was also playing with the whole Black and White cookie idea. I mean, his new friend is from NY.
When we arrived at the store, he began to walk in with me, but I told him to wait outside for me (we were working on his English), so he plopped himself down on the front mat and waited. While there, I bought some cookies and a ham and avocado sandwich and a ham and cheese one. He was pretty skinny, and I didn't want him to think he accompanied me for nothing, and I wanted to give us internationals a good name.
After I paid, I went outside and he jumped up to resume our walk. On the way back, I stopped on a little bench and fed him the first sandwich. Well, everyone should now be aware that dogs aren't big on carbohydrates because he sniffed the bread and looked away as if thinking, God why would you even put that stuff near me?? Getting the hint, I moved on to the meat. The first was the avocado and ham sandwich. Well, Patas/ BW Cookie wasn't the fondest of avocado. I tried to explain to him that avocado is a good fat, but he pretended he didn't understand me. But, I still persuaded him to at least have a little. He dealt with it because he knew I had more and didn't want to hurt my feelings.
We left and continued walking. I wanted him to digest the first sandwich before the next one. After a few blocks (the blocks are huge here), we stopped at another bench and I gave him the ham and cheese sandwich. I tried to give him some bread again, but he knew my tricks. So, I just skipped to the ham and cheese, keeping hidden pieces of bread under it. Well, he loved the ham and cheese. He was sticking his nose into my hands while I was breaking it off.  After that sandwich, we continued our walk, taking turns leading again. When I returned to my gate, he stopped with me and looked at me like, now what? Do you have more ham and cheese in your apartment? Sadly, I could not take him with me, so I pet him for a little while which he thoroughly enjoyed. Then I opened the gate, and he tried to sneak through, but I closed the gated, pet him a little longer through the bars and then returned to my apartment.
Thankfully, he didn't really care about me that much, because once I walked in the door, I looked back and he was already gone. I really think Patas/ BW Cookie and I had a nice walk and a somewhat substantial meal. Most importantly, I have learned that if I decided to go for a walk with another dog, I better avoid the whole carbohydrates and vegetable stuff.

3 comments:

  1. Nice story, Anna! Glad you're teaching the doggie about "healthy". Unfortunately, not all buy that. Good try! AH

    ReplyDelete