Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Who Would've Thought?

Today was my third day of classes. The first one, same as the one on Monday, was good; still can't understand his Spanish though. Then I went on to travel all the way across town to the Theater School for Teatro Latinoamericano (Latin American Theater). Well that was quite a disaster. I assumed going into it that it would be a simple class where we'd have to act out a Latin American play or something along the lines of that. Nope. It is actually a theory class, and when he handed out the syllabus I just about died. We have to read about 20 books/texts etc, write 2 papers and a dissertation. On top of that, his Spanish was quite difficult to understand and he just had to be the professor who asked me, specifically, questions. (What do you think Anna? Why is that similar to in the U.S.?)... Most of my responses were either "Si" or "No entiendo" (I don't understand). After a while I just avoided his eye contact completely.
At the half mark (the class is 3 hours) we got to take a break. I started a conversation with some of the other students outside. Apparently, it's a theory class that seniors take. It is even very hard for them. They said the professor was horrible and they dreaded having to take the class. So I thought to myself... Well I'm equivalent to a 2nd grader here with my Spanish capabilities, so as if I'd be able to survive this class. They told me that I definitely shouldn't take it. When they all had to head back into the class, I vanished. While these poor students had to try to understand who knows what topic, I got a cup of ice cream and sat in the park in the sun.
All I can say, is that I am happy I'm not a senior majoring in Theater at Universidad de Chile. Ironically though, the one class that I have decided to change, the Chilean students were actually willing to talk to me, and they seemed to have actually liked me. I suppose they had enough patience to deal with my pauses in between words to decide which word to use next. But, I'm sure there will be others who won't mind endeavoring the feat of having a conversation with me. I am now looking through the course catalog for a replacement class. But seriously, who would've thought that a course called Latin American Theater would be so difficult that I would have to drop it!

1 comment:

  1. Yikes, that sounds like a tough experience. I guess the professor singled you out because he was interested in the American take on various subjects. Is there an advisor who can steer you into better choices? Eek, I thought that was their job!

    ReplyDelete