Monday, April 8, 2013

A Night At The Opera

Hola todos,

It has been a little bit since I have written, but I have been busy. But, on a more important/interesting note, I went to my first Chilean Opera on Tuesday the 2nd! It is called "Gloria" and actually pretty good.
It all started when I was walking home from class and stopped in the GAM Performing Arts Theater to see if anything was going on. At 8:30, an opera was going to play. It cost about $6.00! Now, firstly, I figured I had nothing else to do, secondly, wanted to immerse myself in the Perming Arts of Chile and thirdly, who would pass on a $6.00 opera?!
When I arrived, it was 7:45, and I had to be at the opera at 8:15, so in that half hour, I grabbed a quick dinner. When I returned, I got my ticket, and I was seated in the third row! When I sat down, the people next to me chatted with me and I was telling them how, Chileans speaking Spanish is hard enough, let alone Chileans singing Spanish! However, I did quite well! I'd say I understood a good 80% of the opera. They had subtitles on top (in Spanish) and if I needed some aid, I could look at the subtitles.
The opera was good. It was about a women named Gloria who goes on a talk show of an old friend and his talk show partner. All of this drama starts when her old "best friend" comes on stage and betrays Gloria's biggest secrets. Then everyone finds out that Gloria has a child and the father is the old friend on the talk show! Well, of course, the host and his partner on the show are lovers. That caused an abundance of drama and she ended up trying to kill herself by drinking a bottle of soap, but she lived. Either way, the show ends with all of them crying, but when the TV show ends, they all stop crying and start laughing! It was all a joke. I laughed too.
I am so happy I saw "Gloria" because it was great for my Spanish, and good entertainment all the same. Hope to go to more shows!

No comments:

Post a Comment