Monday, May 20, 2013

University of Chile A.K.A. University of Strikes

Hola todos,

The university I attend here is very into the student movement of free education. I decided to go to this university because my other option, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, is mainly where the upper class go to school. I wanted to be at a school with a real image of Chile.
The problem with this choice, is that because these people, generally, are not as wealthy at the student body at Católica, they are very active in fighting for free education. Because of this, there are many strikes, marches, and cancelling of classes. I understand this whole idea, and I think it makes sense, but it has quite an interference with my classes.
Usually I have 4 days of class a week. (I don't have classes on Fridays.) However, the last time I have a 4 day week was, 5 weeks ago!! And not even all of those weeks were just 3 day weeks. This week, I have one day of classes. There is a week-long strike going on right now, so from last Wednesday to this Wednesday, there is not class. (Though this Tuesday is a holiday and we would have school off regardless.) Either way, is that not crazy? I have been in class for more than 2 months and can say that for half of that, I have not had a full week.
While these classes are being cancelled, the school semester keeps getting longer. Even though the class is cancelled, it still has to be completed, so the semester extends. Apparently a semester that would have ended usually in late June, ended in October one year. However, being an international, our program ends on a certain date and therefore we have to have completed our courses at a certain time. For this reason, most of the professors at the university are willing to get together with the internationals and have lessons with them. I hope it doesn't come to that because, I may as well have not gone to a Chilean school.
Where do I go to school you ask? I am not even sure if I could say I'm attending one.

2 comments:

  1. University of Strikes will look interesting on your resume! Very clever post, though I hear your frustration. It would be good if you could devote yourself to volunteer work or something that is otherwise interesting and cultural.

    ReplyDelete