Friday, July 5, 2013

Subjunctive, I've Got You!

Hola todos,

To those of you have learned any Spanish and/or know what the subjunctive is, you know that the subjunctive is the devil. It is difficult to not only to conjugate, but more so, when to use it. Even more difficult is the past subjunctive. An example of the subjunctive in English would be: I wish I could eat chocolate for every meal. The "wish" creates the subjunctive and the "could" is the subjunctive verb. An example of past subjunctive is: If I were you, I would eat chocolate for every meal. Note: not only is that past subjunctive, it is also an "if" clause which calls for the past subjunctive and then the conditional (would, should, could).
Native speakers have no problem with this because it comes naturally, but that is completely different for people learning the language. Anyone who is learning or has learned another language can relate to that.
But, after eleven years of learning Spanish, I've conquered not only the subjunctive, but the past subjunctive too!! I've gotten so good, that I can use the past subjunctive twice in a row. I believe that gives me bragging rights.
To those of you who did not understand a single word of this blog, it's okay, you're better off not having the subjunctive screw with your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment