Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The First Few Days In Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hola todos,

I am currently in Buenos Aires, and oh my goodness, it is absolutely wonderful. Much to the popular belief (my mom), I have no encountered any danger here and have felt completely safe.
The flight here was great, because although it was pretty early in the morning, it was only an hour and fifteen minutes. Oh the joys of not having to take a 24 hour bus ride. We arrived, got a taxi and arrived to the hostel, which is in Recoleta, a nice neighborhood with a variety of food, shopping and beautiful architecture.
Naturally, I was still feeling sick, so that slightly put a damper on the first few days. The day we got there, we went to sleep, we had arrived at 8AM. We slept until about 4PM. A weird day. At that point, we got up, though still tired and out of it, and went for a walk. We walked down the main street nearby, Santa Fe and ended up at this pretty little "street" (a large sidewalk for only pedestrians), which we believe is in the Microcentro. We looked at the shops, which were quite elegant and pricey (we learned the next day that that is where all the expensive stores are) and got some food. I ordered some sort of beef sandwich, which may or may not have been an entire cow. I ate a fourth, Jason ate a fourth and we took the other half home. After dinner, we walked back to the hostel for an early night.
The next day was Independence Day. Though it was raining, we went to the cemetery which is very famous; it wasn't just tombs, but gigantic, elegant tombs. So beautiful. Evita is buried there. We didn't spend too much time there because it was raining, and being sick, it probably wasn't the best idea to be outside in the cold while wet. Therefore, after a little while at the cemetery, we went and got something to eat. I ordered a sandwich with steak, tomato, arugula, and cheese. Delicious. While I am here, I will be eating as much meat humanly possible, I mean, Argentina is known for its great meat.
After lunch, we went to a nearby shopping mall, and although neither of us entirely like malls, it was warm in there and we looked at the styles/ stores they have here. After drying off, we headed back to the hostal, stopped at a store to get some dinner supplies and returned. We hung around for a little bit, organizing things we wanted to do the next few days and while in Iguazú. We then made dinner. What did I have? I have a salami and tomato sandwich that I pan-fried similar to a panini. We had an early night.
The only problem with that day was that, since I was sick, my immune system wasn't at its best and I had an allergic reaction to the blankets. Apparently everyone was affected by them. Therefore, not only was I still sick, but it felt as if I had a big lump in my throat, which was also sore. I was falling apart!
Because of this addition to the sickness, the next day, the 10th, Jason and I went to the hospital to get me some medication. Just saying, whenever I get sick, I will be flying to Argentina, (never thought I'd say that). A guy from the hostel who is in training to become a doctor said that in order to be moved up in the line and not have to wait hours, I should say that my sickness is a lot worse than it actually is (but tell the truth to the actual doctor). So, on the walk to the hospital, Jason and I rehearsed. Basically, I told them that it's hard to breath (automatic boost in the line), I could eat and drink but it was painful, I had a lump in my sore throat, I had an earache, and I had a bad cough. I should be hired as an actress. We were given a number, 109, and thankfully they were at 107. We waited basically five minutes! It was great. I told that doctor what was actually wrong with me, so she prescribed me some anti-biotics, ibuprofen, and a liquid that would keep me more hydrated (it coated my intestines to keep water in... weird, right?).
Then we headed to the airport for our trip to Iguazú. But the flight was cancelled. That trip to the airport deserves a whole other blog.
Instead, we returned to the hostel in shame considering we had just said goodbye to everyone. For the rest of the day, we just hung around, being all annoyed at Argentina.
Since the flight was cancelled, we had to reschedule a different one which we made for the 12th. Therefore, we had the next day to do whatever. We decided to have a museum day; it was raining yet again. We first went to a museum called Centro Cultural Recoleta, near the cemetery. There we saw some beautiful artwork. There was actually an exhibit on Jewish art; Buenos Aires has the fifth largest non-Israeli Jewish population in the world. Afterwards, we went to a museum called Bellas Artes, which is a beautiful brick art museum not too far from the hostel  We went there and looked at the art which was mostly 15th through 18th century European paintings. It reminded me a lot of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC. Then, we went to one last museum called, Palais de Glace. It was a beautiful building (like pretty much all of the buildings here) with a photography exhibit. Interesting. Afterwards, we went out for dinner to a French restaurant where Jason ordered a crepe and I ordered, yet again, steak, covered with goat cheese and sun-dried tomatoes with a side of layered potatoes and cheese. And a bottle of wine on the side. Wonderful, wonderful.
The next day, we finally had our flight to Iguazu!

1 comment: