Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Tenedor Libre

Hola todos,

I, for obvious reasons, have not been able to write in my blog as often as I would like, so this experience happened a few days ago.
A Tenedor Libre, is a buffet. Jason, I, and three new friends we made at the hostal (Russ from Texas, Fanny from France, and Johan from Sweden) all went together. Jason and I had luckily, not necessarily purposefully, not eaten at all that day, so our stomachs were completely empty and available for all the meat offered in Buenos Aires. Thank goodness for that.
When we arrived at around 7:30PM, luckily it wasn´t very crowded so we got a table just fine. (At around 8:30 or 9:00, the place became quite crowded). When the waiter came, he told us that we were able to eat as many plates as we wanted, got a bottle of wine or a bottle of beer... each, and that it was $145 pesos. That´s like, not even US$30!
We started off with some salad, I mean, we may as well have some vegetables. Then, we went to the buffet area and I got a little of everything, and only 2 or 3 of them I didn´t like. I didn´t eat my entire plate because, the best part hadn´t even started. We were to next go to the parrilla (assorted grilled meats). It was funny because Johan didn´t even realize and we were all about to head over and he said... There´s more?? I thought that was all of it! Ha, he had no idea what was coming.
The grill was so beautiful. Of course I took a few pictures. There were probably over a dozen different types of meats, and we collectively probably tried everything. By the end of the night, Johan and I were just sharing small pieces; we had to try all of it, but our stomachs couldn´t take much more! We had pork, chicken, sausage, steak and several, several other parts of the cow I can´t completely recall. However, I do remember trying the intestine! Not my favorite. It was really chewy and tasted fatty; but hey, how many people can say that they have eaten grilled cow intestine?
We drank a lot of wine to accompany all this meat and we were all in heaven. They also gave us dessert, which was wonderful. (Dessert was included in the buffet). We had: chocolate mousse, chocolate cake, vanilla ice cream with a drizzle of rasberry sauce, a chocolate tart-like cake, and... I can´t remember the last. But, it was all spectacularly wonderfully fabulous, and before I leave to return to Santiago, I do plan on going back. This time, not eating for two days!
I will confirm now, that people do not lie about the perfection we call meat here.
The Tenedor Libre

A picture of all of us

A piece of meat

The grill

The bigger grill to the side

1 comment: