Sunday, August 18, 2013

Back In The U.S.A./ The Return of Cheddar

Hola todos (Or should I say hello all),

After a long, long flight Monday night into Tuesday morning (remind me to get a high-salary job so I can fly first-class/ have my own private jet anytime I travel), I arrived back to my homeland. So strange! When leaving the plane and realizing how hot it was, I took off my jackets. (I bought way too much and brought back 130 pounds of things... basically another human being. I didn't have space for my jackets so I decided to wear them, therefore I was wearing a tank top, a long-sleeved shirt, a sweatshirt, a fall jacket, another fall jacket, and my winter jacket.) After realizing it was warm and being happy about this, I was so confused when I saw all the signs and advertisements in English. Where's all the Spanish?
I then continued on to get my other human, still in a daze not just from the change in scenery but also from lack of sleep. I got my other human being at the luggage pick-up and then continued on to find my mom. It wasn't very hard to find her, considering she hasn't drastically changed since I left and is still really tall and blond and towers over all the Latinos who were leaving the flight I was on. She was very happy to see me, and equally relieved as to see that I survived the trip. We then walked to the car to drive home.
The weather wasn't the best: it was cloudy and a bit rainy. A tad symbolic. It was so so strange to see the house, and even weirder to see my room! But wonderful to see my nice big comfortable bed and, the reunion between my cat and me! I missed Cheddar so much and although he tends to act a little nonchalant and uncaring, it was hard for him to hide his happiness upon seeing me. (Since I returned he has spent every night cuddling with me.)
I brushed my teeth, chatted with my mom for a little bit and then Cheddar and I took a much needed nap. I woke up and ate dinner, it was really nice to have a home-made dinner. The rest of the night, my mom and I chatted and I showed her all the cool stuff I bought and I gave her her gifts! A wooden moai she uniquely named Mr. Moai (everyone see where I got my creativity from?), some alpaca socks, and a pair of lapislazuli and copper earrings. Cheddar and I retired early back to sleep.
It was so strange being back, but I hadn't processed anything yet. It was too much to handle and think about.

1 comment:

  1. The earrings are gorgeous!! And I am happy beyond happy to have my beautiful girl at home again, if only briefly before she returns to school. I am so proud of her!

    ReplyDelete