Friday, August 23, 2013

I Miss Spanish

Hola todos,

The first few weeks being in Chile, I missed English and just wanted a break from Spanish. It was so frustrating trying to speak it! But now, las mesas (the tables) have turned. I miss speaking Spanish.
Six months ago, I never thought I would feel this way right now, but since I was speaking it so much, for so many months, it became a part of me and was my language of choice. I'm not saying of course that now back in the U.S. I'm having difficulty getting back to speaking English, but I do think in Spanish, and want to respond to people in Spanish, that mostly being, "cachai?" and "cacho." (We need to assimilate those words into the English language.) When the guy who mows the lawn, who is Ecuadorian, was over a few days ago, I was so excited to speak to him! So we chatted and chatted, and I realized, after comparing his Spanish to mine, that I really do talk like a Chilean! His Spanish is pure and clear and mine is cut-off and filled with slang. That's what Chile does to you!
I want to try and find some people that I can talk to in Spanish at school, not only to keep it up, but to satisfy my need to speak Spanish (preferably a Chilean who will appreciate my accent.)
This is a good thing I guess. I mean, that shows how much Spanish I have learned and how much I was speaking it. Of course that also shows how much I miss Chile.

No comments:

Post a Comment