Tuesday, August 13, 2013

That Is A Fit Piece of Crumpet

Hola todos,

As mentioned in the previous Easter Island entries, I met several Brits. First the Andys and then John. The Andys were traveling and their next destination was Tahiti. Jealous.
The other Brit was John who had come here as a final destination and was then traveling back to Santiago and heading back to London. For a while before Conor came, my group of friends was with the three Brits and a girl from the Netherlands. Naturally, the Brits ganged up against me for how incompetent and incapable we are as a nation. This was in a completely kidding way, just playing up the stereotypes of an average American. Of course I played along and would say things such as, Well as a fat American..., but more fun was when something happened putting the U.S. in a favorable light, I would hold me fist up and chant, "U.S.A.!! U.S.A.!! U.S.A.!!!!!" I more so did this more discreetly in case any of the people didn't like Americans and wouldn't approve of me chanting.
One of the main jokes was the English language, or as I would say, the American language. " I don't speak English! I speak American!!" And they agreed with this as to the fact that us Americans completely butchered the English language. They absolutely hated the way I say "Water," because like other Americans, I pronounce the "t" like a "d." (You can say it to yourself now.) Therefore, I looked for any excuse to say, "water."
While on the language topic, they taught me some English slang such as, a "bloke" which is a man, a "bird" which is a women, "fit" which means attractive (more so than in good shape), and a "piece of crumpet" which also refers to a girl.
They also had to brag about how England conquered a lot and let America go when they got bored of the taxation without representation. I asked if they talked about conquering the U.S. in school because John is a teacher and he said no, that we're just another country that they conquered. It's funny because obviously we gained our independence from England so our freedom from them was kind of a big deal. Fun fact: The British stole a moai from the island, so the Rapa Nui people don't like them very much. They stated how there really was no reason for them to come to Easter Island... Just go to the museum in England to see one.
After the Andys had left, it was just John and me until Conor came and of course when I realized he was from the U.S., I had to chant, "U.S.A.!! U.S.A!! U.S.A.!!!!!" We Americans now outnumbered those damned Brits.
For the next few days, Conor, John, and I partook in adventures together while John taught us slang. Golly gee chap, what great fun!
After I left Easter Island and was back in Santiago for a few days before coming back to the U.S., I got together with John who was there for a few days, and we went out for my final pisco sour and chorrillana that night, and then the next day climbed San Cristobal. It was a lot of fun. One of the fondest memories I will ever have of John is the only two sentences he knows in Spanish. Which are: ¿Te gustan búhos? [if yes],
¿Te gustaría ir a un santuario del búho? Which means: Do you like owls? [If yes], would you like to go to an owl sanctuary?.... Of all things to know!
I can say that those Brits were fun even though I hated their British guts. But I kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment