Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Easter Island By Car

Hola todos,

Well, I am back in the U.S. But, I'll talk about that later.
The last day I was in Easter Island, I decided that what I really wanted was go lie around on the beach called Anakena at the northern tip of the island. Conor decided to join.
Since not only I returned my bike but also because it felt like death sitting on it because of the horse back riding prior, we ended up sharing a car with some people in the hostel who were heading that way. The ride was about a half hour.
We arrived at the beach at around 12PM. Thank goodness, we made it for the peak sun hours, I needed some sun. When we arrived, we changed to our bathing suits which felt wonderful to wear and Conor went into the water. Apparently it was very wonderful, but my main desire was to just lie in the sun. Who needs to swim? But, after I needed a break from the organized tanning (an equal about of minutes on each side of the body, because if you're just walking around on the beach, there's no way to predict how the sun will tan you and inevitably you'd have to walk or stand one way for a certain amount of minutes, then do the opposite. Tanning 101)  I decided to be a tanning dare devil and got up to feel the water and walk around. I cannot say I found the water particularly warm. I stood in the shallows being a coward while Conor went in again and started riding the waves. I felt like a wimp, but hey at least I made it to my knees. And Conor told me all about it. Same thing. We walked over to the grass of the beach and looked at the moai. I must say, by this point I was kind of moai-ed out, but they were still beautiful, I just didn't gasp in the beauty of them like the previous days.
We also walked over to the lava rocks on the sides of the beaches and looked around at the little pools of water.
We left at around 4PM because Conor wanted to try surfing with a guy in the hostel named Felipe, who surfs. That was okay though because I reached the peak hours of sun. Although I still am not completely one shade, I look Italian again.
Conor and Felipe went surfing, however there weren't many waves so they kind of just floated around working on paddling. I watched from the shore and took a few pictures. A nice day.


Conor and Felipe surfing

My final Easter Island sunset

The new friends we met! Conor on the far left. (Notice the awkward tan I have)

No comments:

Post a Comment