Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Back To NYC!

Hola todos,

After being in Santiago for so long, Santiago became my surrogate city (my real city is NYC). Returning to my real city, everything felt so strange. One may assume the strangest part about returning to NYC would be how large and busy it is. But, that wasn't the strangest part. Although Santiago doesn't have skyscrapers, it is still quite busy. The strangest thing was the people. The people as a whole looked so foreign. I was used to Latinos: brunettes, tan skin, and short. But in the city, there were tall people, blond people and everything in between. I must admit, I will a little in awe. But imagine, most of you would be too, if you hadn't seen such an eclectic array of people in six months.
As I walked down the streets, most likely looking like a tourist because when I saw leopard print in the stores I had to stop and take pictures and because I probably just looked over-whelmed. Another thing I found strange was that I could understand everyone around me. In Santiago, yes my Spanish is good but it's not my native language and I do need some brain capacity available to fully understand. But English, it's natural. Therefore, while in Santiago, when I heard someone speak English, my ears perked up. So, when returning to NYC and hearing English conversations around me, I couldn't help but think to myself, oh my goodness there are people speaking English! I wonder where they're from? Ironically, hearing English conversations still made me feel like I was in Chile.
Since it was restaurant week, which a New Yorker would be a fool to miss out on, I went out for Korean. Gosh I missed Korean. It was wonderful and I savored every bite.
Afterwards, I walked down 6th Avenue to Bryant Park and sat in the grass looking at everything and everyone, again, as if I were a tourist. It was a strange experience with NYC that I was surprised to have had.

Korean appetizer

Main dish! Ah, I love Korean!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post.For more information about OverseasEducation,visit one of the Top Overseas Education consultants in India

    ReplyDelete