Wednesday, August 14, 2013

English Language: Conquered, Spanish Language: Conquered. Up Next: Frisian

Hola todos,

In Easter Island, as noticed in previous blogs, I met a lot of interesting people from all around the world. This one guy I met, Dirk, is from Friesland, a province of the Netherlands. The first thing you all must know about him is that he is 6'6". Yes, 6 feet 6 inches!
After I visited the Netherlands in 2009, I realized that I will be going there to find my husband. Tall, blond, and attractive. Since Dirk is 6'6", I went on to saying how wonderful that is, because since I am relatively tall (5'8") and value someone tall.
Anyway, he works temporarily at a drilling rig in a middle of nowhere town in the north west of Canada. (But c'mon, all of Canada is the middle of nowhere... Kidding.) The job is for nine months and is interesting/ great because each month he works two weeks and then has the other two weeks off. For that reason, he is able to travel during those two weeks, hence his trip to Easter Island.
He spent four days, I believe, there which really is how long one needs to experience the island. He took full advantage of these few days and went to see the sunrise not once, but twice! Very admirable.
One night he joined Conor, John, and me for dinner to celebrate John's last day. For some reason, a large portion of the conversation during dinner was what I look for in a spouse. It must've been from the comment about his height. So, we got very detailed and I pretty much have a perfect vision of a man that I would marry. The only problem with this of course is that those specific needs may limit my options. But hey, I won't settle for less.
Like the Brits and me, and then Conor too, we all teased each other about where the others are from. It would have been rude if we excluded Dirk from the teasing. We didn't want to, we had to! He was a two for one because not only was he from Friesland and spoke Frisian, which is not a very common nor most likely useful language, but he is also working in Canada. Conor and I had a great time with that one. Friesland wise, Conor and I had to tease about how useful the language must be. About how if there's any language to learn next, it is Frisian, we're sure that sometime in the near future they are going to make Frisian one of official languages of the U.N., and that you're automatically bound for success in the business world if you speak Frisian. Canada wise... I mean my fellow Americans should understand, it's Canada. The 51st state, the hat of the U.S., an extension of the U.S. Canada's not threatening, they're just... Canada. (I don't mean to offend you Canadians! Just jokes.) Either way, Conor and I enjoyed teasing, but of course we kid. I'm sure Friesland is a perfectly nice place (with lots of tall men) and Canada, besides 90% of it being frozen tundra is a nice place as well.
Since he's lucky and gets to travel every two weeks, hopefully he'll come visit me in NYC, considering there's a 99.99% chance that he will make it to NYC before I make it to his frozen tundra town or Friesland!


John's farewell dinner. From back left: Dirk, me from back right: John, Conor


1 comment:

  1. I look so serious because I was distressed at leaving such a lovely place and such a great bunch of people.

    ReplyDelete