Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Class? What Does That Word Mean?! How Do You Pronounce It?!

Hola todos,

Today, I had the first class, The History of Modern and Contemporary Art, that I have had in over 3 weeks. Of course I didn't have both classes I normally would have today because one of the faculties is still on strike. I have no idea why the Faculty of Art decided to not be on strike for today, I mean, chances are it will be going back on strike any day now. But, that's Chile.
Either way, for the first time in 7 weeks I had this class. Of course because all of the Chileans are busy striking, I got to class first and no one was there. Thankfully, the professor was there, so I knew there was class. We chatted for about 15 minutes before another person came. (Class started at 2:30). Finally at around 2:50, 4 more people came in. The professor figured this was sufficient enough to teach a class so we got started. Then, at 4:00, around 25 people just came in! I assume a meeting for a strike had just ended. Now, this is the class that I was supposed to have a test in... 7 weeks ago. However, because we have missed so many classes, she has made it a take-home essay. Therefore, I will be writing at least a page, (i.e. a page and a line) about 1 of the 2 questions she gave to us. I have read them, but don't understand them very well. Thank goodness she gave us the take-home essay because if we had had the test today, I probably would've been sunk.
Since we have been on strike for so long, school will be prolonged and the semester will probably end in late July. However, my program ends on the 15th of July, therefore I will not have finished the classes. In this class, we would normally have a midterm (this take-home test) and a final. However, I will not be here for the final so my entire grade for this course will be based on this one essay. And, I actually don't really have a problem with that. The professor really likes me and obviously she is aware that I am an international student. Therefore she will understand the little mistakes that I make. (Why didn't I go to school as an international for the past 3 years?!)
It was very strange to have class today. I forgot what it was like to sit at a desk and listen to a professor's lesson. However, I do not think I should get used to this, because it is not going to last! Oh well, instead, I am exploring the city more, going to museums, performances, and having fun with my friends. I suppose it's not the end of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment