Sunday, June 2, 2013

Mercado Central

Hola todos,

Friday, I went to Mercado Central. Hopefully all of you know that that means Central Market! This market is near a neighborhood called Bellavista, which is a great place. There's a lot of nightlife there, and a lot to do during the day too. Walking north, Mercado Central is located right next to Rio Mapocho, which is hardly a river. And when I mean hardly, I mean hardly. I could put my shoes on the ground and create a dam. I am not kidding. I don't even understand why they call it a river, but that's besides the point.
Mercado Central is very bustling with lots of markets and restaurants. The main focus is seafood and there are venders upon venders in the aisles of the huge building. There are fish of all types, shell fish, and who knows what else. The restaurants of course all serve seafood. The problem with these restaurants however is that there are waiters and servers standing outside trying to persuade you as much as possible to go in and eat there. Ah! They can be so annoying! I told my friend who I went with that they are just driving us away. We got so annoyed that we didn't even bother looking at what they had. This one guy was talking to us so much that I told him, "Stop talking! We need to think!" But, he continued talking. We eventually decided to go across the river to another market, similar to Mercado Central, but more so with fruit and meat. We ate dinner there which was tasty and cheap. My friend and I were saying that it felt like we were getting a home cooked meal, it was a small area in the market, where we could see the kitchen right in front of us. A good deal.
We then walked around a little and looked at the little shops. At 6PM it started to get cold so my friend took the subway back, and though Mercado Central is far from my house in Providencia, I walked a little while parallel to the "river." A nice day, always exciting to see Mercado Central, a very Chilean experience.

1 comment:

  1. We went there together, remember? I found it overwhelming but interesting too. I would like to go back myself so I'm glad you had the opportunity. I took a wonderful shot of a dog curled up sleeping in a grocery crate. Did you see the pix? I sent you a link.
    I love these posts! Keep them up.

    ReplyDelete