Friday, June 7, 2013

In The Arms Of An Angel

Hola todos,

Yesterday, finally, I started volunteering. Why did it take so long? Who knows, that's Chile for you. I rode my bike there. It was farther than I thought and after 45 minutes, I arrived. I talked to the secretary and was introduced to the staff. I am volunteering at a dog shelter.
When I first saw all the dogs, the first thing I thought was, "In the arms of an angel, fly away from here!" Does anyone understand why? Because in N.Y. (not sure about other places) there are SPCA commercials on TV where they play, In The Arms Of An Angel by Sarah McLachlin for the entire commercial while they show pictures of dogs waiting to be adopted. So depressing. I always change the channel when I hear the first notes of that song.
It was first depressing seeing all the dogs in their kennels. I was there for five minutes and thought, Ok, never coming back here again! However, I went around to pet the dogs which they enjoyed and according to the staff, the dogs are happy here because they have shelter, food, and water. They were so adorable and so friendly. I have some favorites now, even though it's been a short time. Some people came in and took some of them, mostly puppies which I don't like because adopters always want puppies, not the older dogs that would make equally great dogs. If I could adopt those dogs, I would take the full grown ones. There is a German Shepard mix in there, and he is absolutely beautiful. I saw him and pet his for a while.
After a little bit when the shelter was closing up, we went around and gave them all little bed quilts to sleep on. When we went to the German Shepard one, we had to take him out because he is quite big. However, once we got him out, it was going to take a lot to get him back in. Of course the dogs don't want to be in their kennels. When we took the German Shepard out, he was standing, then when we tried to put in back in, he sat down. Then we kind of pushed him, and he laid down on his back. Naturally I couldn't help but pet him. Finally the girl came over to help me put him back in. He probably weighs 70 lbs. He would be a great dog.
The shelter closed at 5:30, I said good-bye (to the dogs and humans) and then biked back to my house. It was fun, and though I was covered in fur and smelled of dog when I got back, a shower can always fix that. I enjoyed taking care of the dogs and am hoping that I can walk them during the week when I am there. Apparently on Saturdays, volunteers come in to walk, pet, and groom the dogs. However for the next few weekend I will be traveling. For that reason, I'm hoping the owner will let me walk several during the week, in my arms of an angel.
If anyone wants a dog, or know of someone who wants a dog, the address is Vicuña McKenna 1590

No comments:

Post a Comment