Monday, June 17, 2013

Santiago, You're Really Getting On My Nerves

Hola todos,

A few days ago, I went on a journey to find a charger for my new camera and a connector to a computer (as you recall, my mom sent me a new camera but forgot to send me the charger etc.). Well, I talked to my host mom and she said that there was a place  on the main street. I headed there, thinking, Ok this will only take me a few minutes. (This was 3:30 and I had class at 4:15) Of course it wasn't that easy. I went there and they said they didn't have any. I went to a nearby mall and went to a store and they said that I would not find just a charger for my camera (as in I needed to buy the camera as well). And I said, in all of Chile? And she said, yes, that I would have to buy it online. To this I said, Why don't you guys have Best Buys here?! I said this is English so she didn't understand. Although, I assumed this was false information. I searched a few more stores in the mall, and no luck. I made my way to where my class is and after stopping at two more places that seemed like they'd have cables with no success, I gave up and went to class. However, I went to the faculty where the class is, and not to my surprise, class had been cancelled. Apparently there was a "toma" going on which entails the student body taking over the faculty. Ha. There was not a soul there. I went upstairs to my classroom, all of the lights on the entire floor were off and the door was locked. Some "toma."
Well, at least I had a little more time to find a charger. I talked to the people at the front desk who said I could find one down the street. I went down the street and they told me to go to Casa Royal which was about a 20 minute walk from the faculty. I got there, and they said that they didn't have any. At that point I gave up. Seven stores, and no luck. I started walking to the metro, and saw one last store and figured, what the heck. Naturally, when I walked in they were playing "In The Arms Of An Angel" which we all know that I hate, and I was not full of hope. Well, they shockingly had a computer connector and a charger!!! I almost cried of happiness. According to my (real) mom, cables/chargers are basically $2 in the U.S. How much where they you ask? The cable was $3, but the real shocker is the charger it was... drum roll, $30!!!! Can you believe that?? But, desperate times call for desperate measures. I left the store both happy and with $2 in my wallet. Oh well.
Santiago, you are the biggest city in the most stable (economically and politically) country, yet you cease to have a supply of camera chargers?

1 comment:

  1. Very cute and funny blog!
    Just think: when you return to the US you'll have 2 chargers!

    ReplyDelete